Keep 3DLuVr online!
3DLuVr Logo
 From the Real World
 Digital Painting Series
 Featuring of...
 On the Bookshelf
 3ds max
 Softimage XSI
 Rhinoceros 3D
 Video Tutorials
FunZone menu
 I always wanted to be
 Talk to an employer
 Why Ask "Why"
TechZone menu
 Hardware Reviews
 Software Reviews
 Q&A, Tips & Tricks
UserZone menu
 The Artist Sites
 15 Min of Fame
 Request an Account
 Current Assignment
 Sponsors & Prizes
 Make a Submission
 Voting Booth
 Competition Rules
About menu
 Mission Statement
 Poll Archive
 How to IRC
Log in to be able to post comments to the news items, forum posts, and other facilities.
Not registered? Register!     Lost Password?
 Your New Year`s Resolution is...
Gain employment
Stop smoking/drinking/etc
Get back in shape
Find the meaning of life
Conquer the World
Absolutely nothing

    Poll Results
Want to leave us a comment about the site or in general? Click here to access the form.
ArtZone Heading
"In the Lab"
Added on: Fri Aug 09 2002
Page: 1 2 4 5 6 7 

Texturing/Shading (cont.)

To map the porcelain jar tags, first I placed the tag onto the main texture, in order to place an appropriate adjustment. Once the first tag is placed, I duplicated the jar, and I replaced only the tag texture. I used only three different tags, when I placed it in the scene, I rotate the jars in order to show a half of each word in the tag, and this made it look like many different tags due that not all are fully readable.
This way saved alot of time, instead of placing/adjusting a new texture for each jar, and the results are non-iterative, too.

DirtyNut (an automatic dirty) was used for the stone elements to give a more credible aspect for the stonework since this shader places dirt where two surfaces are contacted. This kind of dirt could be created using BodyPaint but this automatic dirt was faster than painting it in the stone walls maps.

BodyPaint was a great help to paint any textures (like the book texture) directly into the objects becauset some objects can�t be textured using the typicall mapping projections (plain, cylindric, cubic, etc). BodyPaint allows to paint in all directions and so, I can paint the sheets edge and the sheets body for the book paper object, or retouch some woods (selves and table) which not looks nice at borders using typical projections.

The most unknown material for me was the volumetric shader for the fire/smoke (Pyrocluster) but finally seems I get success with the appropriate parameters.


For this scene there are four main sources to simulate. The Sun, the Sky, the Fireplace and the Stove. Each source needs some lights to show its full and rich nature.

(For Photoshop users, I suggest downloading all the images that follow and place them in separate layers (sorted) in a single document. Hidding/unhidding the layers will show a more noticeable changes between stages, rather than seeing it separately.
It�s like start from a black photographic studio and turn on each light group when the next layer is activated, try it it's fun :) )

� 1997-2024 3DLuVrTM (Three Dee Lover)
Best viewed in 1024x768 or higher,
using any modern CSS compliant browser.