Keep 3DLuVr online!
3DLuVr Logo
 From the Real World
 Digital Painting Series
 Featuring of...
 On the Bookshelf
 3ds max
 Softimage XSI
 Rhinoceros 3D
 Video Tutorials
FunZone menu
 I always wanted to be
 Talk to an employer
 Why Ask "Why"
TechZone menu
 Hardware Reviews
 Software Reviews
 Q&A, Tips & Tricks
UserZone menu
 The Artist Sites
 15 Min of Fame
 Request an Account
 Current Assignment
 Sponsors & Prizes
 Make a Submission
 Voting Booth
 Competition Rules
About menu
 Mission Statement
 Poll Archive
 How to IRC
Log in to be able to post comments to the news items, forum posts, and other facilities.
Not registered? Register!     Lost Password?
 Your New Year`s Resolution is...
Gain employment
Stop smoking/drinking/etc
Get back in shape
Find the meaning of life
Conquer the World
Absolutely nothing

    Poll Results
Want to leave us a comment about the site or in general? Click here to access the form.
ArtZone Heading
"In the Lab"
Added on: Fri Aug 09 2002
Page: 1 3 4 5 6 7 

A re-scaled version from the fireplace arch was used for the main archs.

The hard work was to handle all this amount of objects, and of course the Texturing and Lighting stages.


The smoke was created using an emitter and a volumetric shader (Pyrocluster for Cinema4D plugin).
In order to get the shape I like (scaping to the aperture), I went the other way around. I used a path for the emitter, and I animated it. If this was an animation instead of a still image, we could see how the smoke goes from the aperture to the stove, (like a flaming meteor) :)
This way was faster than doing a larger amount of tests with deflectors and wind - an advantage for still images :)

I tried different adjustments/tests to find an appropriate aspect. I got the aspect that I liked, using a secondary emitter for the flame with a dense smoke, and leaving the first one only for the thin smoke.

Volumetric shaders took some unnecessary computing time in the shading/lighting stage.
Since Cinema4D users usually don�t wait more than a few minutes for a render, it was hard for me to use this volumetric shader which takes several hours to render, but the results are very satisfactory for me.

I left the smoke emitter for use only in the final image. Also, some no-volumetric smoke was added in the lighting stage.


I used fractals, maps and materials with special properties to create all the textures.
Fractals are appropriate to create the rough stone texture, additional dirt, bumps, etc
Mostly textures used are stone maps, and wood maps.

Any materials were painted, like the amphors texture, the book, jar tags, oxide on the wood, dirt, etc.

In addition some materials are special materials like the small door in the stove, which is a material with luminance and glow (inside fire). The glass/liquid material which is a material (90-95% transparency) whith raytrace reflection, enviroment map, and refraction, also a bit of Fresnel (gradient ramp for the edges) was loaded in the luminance channel, to give the adequate aspect for the porcelain jars and sulphur materials.

� 1997-2024 3DLuVrTM (Three Dee Lover)
Best viewed in 1024x768 or higher,
using any modern CSS compliant browser.