Keep 3DLuVr online!
3DLuVr Logo
Sections
Articles
 From the Real World
 Digital Painting Series
 Featuring of...
 On the Bookshelf
Tutorials
 3ds max
 LightWave3D
 Softimage XSI
 Rhinoceros 3D
 Video Tutorials
FunZone menu
 I always wanted to be
 Talk to an employer
 Why Ask "Why"
TechZone menu
 Hardware Reviews
 Software Reviews
 Benchmarking
 Q&A, Tips & Tricks
UserZone menu
 The Artist Sites
 15 Min of Fame
 Request an Account
 Current Assignment
 Sponsors & Prizes
 Make a Submission
 Voting Booth
 Competition Rules
About menu
 Mission Statement
 Policies
 Advertising
 Comments
 Poll Archive
 Links
 How to IRC
 Donations
Login
Log in to be able to post comments to the news items, forum posts, and other facilities.
Username: 
 
Password: 
Not registered? Register!     Lost Password?
Poll
 Your New Year`s Resolution is...
Gain employment
Stop smoking/drinking/etc
Get back in shape
Find the meaning of life
Conquer the World
Absolutely nothing

    Poll Results
Comments
Want to leave us a comment about the site or in general? Click here to access the form.
ArtZone Heading
"One Buggy Day"
Added on: Wed Nov 21 2001
Page: 2 3 4 5 

To keep the process description as simple as possible I will focus on the most important details of the project, skipping techniques already described in other tutorials found on 3DLuVr. I'll try to explain every step in a software-independent way.

Modeling

I used for the bug my favorite modeling technique: NURMS (Non-Uniform Rational Mesh Smooth); a relatively fast and simple process that allows working on a low poly mesh and watching the high poly result simultaneously. I chose this technique essentially because of its easiness on adding detail at any stage of the process and for its clean and smooth end result.


Starting from a sphere primitive, vertexes were adjusted to resemble the bug's body, with special attention to the shell's border. Its lower part was tessellated to create the waving profile of the body. All faces of the right tip of the sphere were deleted, allowing for the extrusion of the head.

After adjusting the overall appearance of the head (just a matter of extruding edges and tweaking vertexes), faces were extruded to create the antennas and the saliencies near the bug's mouth. The legs were also created from consecutive extrusions, starting from faces located on the side of the body. The Meshsmooth modifier produced the smooth and detailed final mesh.

The ground was created from a patch grid with a Noise modifier applied. (I applied a planar mapping modifier before the addition of the noise modifier to prevent unwanted bitmap projection when the textures were assigned later on)

The stones are spheres with a sufficiently high number of faces to allow a smooth deformation from a Noise modifier.
I gave a unique seed value for each stone (so they never look alike) and scaled them to different sizes.





 
1997-2017 3DLuVrTM (Three Dee Lover)
Best viewed in 1024x768 or higher,
using any modern CSS compliant browser.