Keep 3DLuVr online!
3DLuVr Logo
Sections
Articles
 From the Real World
 Digital Painting Series
 Featuring of...
 On the Bookshelf
Tutorials
 3ds max
 LightWave3D
 Softimage XSI
 Rhinoceros 3D
 Video Tutorials
FunZone menu
 I always wanted to be
 Talk to an employer
 Why Ask "Why"
TechZone menu
 Hardware Reviews
 Software Reviews
 Benchmarking
 Q&A, Tips & Tricks
UserZone menu
 The Artist Sites
 15 Min of Fame
 Request an Account
 Current Assignment
 Sponsors & Prizes
 Make a Submission
 Voting Booth
 Competition Rules
About menu
 Mission Statement
 Policies
 Advertising
 Comments
 Poll Archive
 Links
 How to IRC
 Donations
Login
Log in to be able to post comments to the news items, forum posts, and other facilities.
Username: 
 
Password: 
Not registered? Register!     Lost Password?
Poll
 Your New Year`s Resolution is...
Gain employment
Stop smoking/drinking/etc
Get back in shape
Find the meaning of life
Conquer the World
Absolutely nothing

    Poll Results
Comments
Want to leave us a comment about the site or in general? Click here to access the form.
ArtZone Heading
"One Buggy Day"
Added on: Wed Nov 21 2001
Page: 1 3 4 5 

Although I expected to achieve the subtle fur effect with shaders, my first attempts did not present a satisfactory result. Particle Array - tool that allows geometry to emit particles - became the solution for this problem: by choosing parts of the bug's mesh as emitters (basically everything except the shells, which didn't need fur) and defining a small size and a high count for the particles, a nice fur effect was created. (Note that this procedure requires a huge amount of RAM)



Texturing

The bug was divided in several parts that were textured individually: head, shells, lower body and legs. The mapping methods applied changed according to each part of the geometry (mainly planar and cylindrical mapping). After choosing and applying each UVW map, I used the "Unwrap UVW" modifier to make screen-captures of the unwrapped geometries, and imported all images into Photoshop.

At this time I gathered some reference images and started copying small parts into my texture images, adding as much detail as possible. I removed all the shadows and specular highlights (these will be added in the rendering process). The unwrapped mesh images worked as guides, allowing for the precise positioning of details.





 
1997-2017 3DLuVrTM (Three Dee Lover)
Best viewed in 1024x768 or higher,
using any modern CSS compliant browser.