Keep 3DLuVr online!
3DLuVr Logo
Sections
Articles
 From the Real World
 Digital Painting Series
 Featuring of...
 On the Bookshelf
Tutorials
 3ds max
 LightWave3D
 Softimage XSI
 Rhinoceros 3D
 Video Tutorials
FunZone menu
 I always wanted to be
 Talk to an employer
 Why Ask "Why"
TechZone menu
 Hardware Reviews
 Software Reviews
 Benchmarking
 Q&A, Tips & Tricks
UserZone menu
 The Artist Sites
 15 Min of Fame
 Request an Account
 Current Assignment
 Sponsors & Prizes
 Make a Submission
 Voting Booth
 Competition Rules
About menu
 Mission Statement
 Policies
 Advertising
 Comments
 Poll Archive
 Links
 How to IRC
 Donations
Login
Log in to be able to post comments to the news items, forum posts, and other facilities.
Username: 
 
Password: 
Not registered? Register!     Lost Password?
Poll
 Your New Year`s Resolution is...
Gain employment
Stop smoking/drinking/etc
Get back in shape
Find the meaning of life
Conquer the World
Absolutely nothing

    Poll Results
Comments
Want to leave us a comment about the site or in general? Click here to access the form.
ArtZone Heading
"Dream House"
Added on: Mon Jun 26 2000
Page: 2 3 

The Research

When I started to work on ideas for the contest, I quickly realized that I am not anywhere near being called an architect.
So, I went to my local library to do some research on houses. You would be surprised at the amount of books most libraries have on architectural stuff! It proved to be very useful in the pre-production stage. One of the things that makes a convincing house is in the details. Since most are pretty simple in their actual geometry, picking one with the right lighting, features(wood/brick) and environment have to be strong in order for it to be convincing. Iíll cover theses a bit more in detail later on.

Grunt Work

Modeling consumed a lot of time for me on this one. Since I was unemployed for the first week of the contest, I was able to get through a lot of this stage. The first part that actually got created in the scene was the bridge.
Why? It helped serve as a reference of proportion for the rest of the house behind it. One thing that may seem trivial is actually having all of your geometry match in size. Since this is the real-world we are modeling, people recognize what things are in your scene and how they are in real life. If they do not match then it becomes distracting. One article I read a few years ago by Bill Flemming noted that key factors to creating a believable image is to make things messy and unique. If my scene was to get some of this
magic then gas grills had to be rotated off centered, the cloth on umbrellas had to look realistic and little things like the shingles on the roof had to have actual geometry.


(An early render showing the main geometry)

The Shingles

They were one of the bigger pains in the scene. Making them with a tiled displacement map on a long rectangle required a very high face-count. They actually pumped the scene up to a final polycount of 350k.
Why did I bother? Because every visualization rendering I have seen that threw on a flat texturing looked very fake. Even if everything else in a scene looks right but the roof looks stupid, then you have cheated the audience.

The tedious part was making the angled sections of the shingles work correctly. For that I lined up a huge box for making the correct boolean and cloned it 20+ times. Each row of shingles was then booleaned seperately. When 3dsmax first loads it likes to rebuild the scene by a step process and not raw geometry unless a stack is collapsed, making the house file with shingles placed take over 4 minutes to open on my Athlon!


(The displacement map used on the shingles and the sharp angles that were booleaned)




 
© 1997-2017 3DLuVrTM (Three Dee Lover)
Best viewed in 1024x768 or higher,
using any modern CSS compliant browser.