Keep 3DLuVr online!
3DLuVr Logo
Sections
Articles
 From the Real World
 Digital Painting Series
 Featuring of...
 On the Bookshelf
Tutorials
 3ds max
 LightWave3D
 Softimage XSI
 Rhinoceros 3D
 Video Tutorials
FunZone menu
 I always wanted to be
 Talk to an employer
 Why Ask "Why"
TechZone menu
 Hardware Reviews
 Software Reviews
 Benchmarking
 Q&A, Tips & Tricks
UserZone menu
 The Artist Sites
 15 Min of Fame
 Request an Account
 Current Assignment
 Sponsors & Prizes
 Make a Submission
 Voting Booth
 Competition Rules
About menu
 Mission Statement
 Policies
 Advertising
 Comments
 Poll Archive
 Links
 How to IRC
 Donations
Login
Log in to be able to post comments to the news items, forum posts, and other facilities.
Username: 
 
Password: 
Not registered? Register!     Lost Password?
Poll
 Your New Year`s Resolution is...
Gain employment
Stop smoking/drinking/etc
Get back in shape
Find the meaning of life
Conquer the World
Absolutely nothing

    Poll Results
Comments
Want to leave us a comment about the site or in general? Click here to access the form.
ArtZone Heading
"Black Gold"
Added on: Sun Jun 17 2001
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 

The biggest tasks were the smoke and the sky. I tried to make the sky with procedural shaders first, but it didn't look convincing at all. I slept over it and took a picture of the sky the next morning. ;-)
I removed some roof tops and trees in Photoshop, added a contrail from a picture I had found in the internet and added a fractal landscape I had rendered seperately in C4D. I blurred the landscape a bit with the Gaussian Blur filter.




For the smoke I used PyroCluster, a plugin which uses the particle system to create fire, smoke and other volumetric effects.
Actually I wanted to add fire as well, but it only disturbed the mood of the image. So I only made smoke which had to be illuminated by the sunlight. The problem was, that the sunlight uses area shadow which of course usually takes ages to render with volumetric smoke. But I managed to keep the PyroCluster settings very low while it still looked good.
I also excluded the blue light source from illuminating the smoke which saved some render time.



This project was really fun and I already look forward to the next contest. :-)

The final image is shown below as a wireframe and full rendered.


 
1997-2017 3DLuVrTM (Three Dee Lover)
Best viewed in 1024x768 or higher,
using any modern CSS compliant browser.