Keep 3DLuVr online!
3DLuVr Logo
 From the Real World
 Digital Painting Series
 Featuring of...
 On the Bookshelf
 3ds max
 Softimage XSI
 Rhinoceros 3D
 Video Tutorials
FunZone menu
 I always wanted to be
 Talk to an employer
 Why Ask "Why"
TechZone menu
 Hardware Reviews
 Software Reviews
 Q&A, Tips & Tricks
UserZone menu
 The Artist Sites
 15 Min of Fame
 Request an Account
 Current Assignment
 Sponsors & Prizes
 Make a Submission
 Voting Booth
 Competition Rules
About menu
 Mission Statement
 Poll Archive
 How to IRC
Log in to be able to post comments to the news items, forum posts, and other facilities.
Not registered? Register!     Lost Password?
 Your New Year`s Resolution is...
Gain employment
Stop smoking/drinking/etc
Get back in shape
Find the meaning of life
Conquer the World
Absolutely nothing

    Poll Results
Want to leave us a comment about the site or in general? Click here to access the form.
ArtZone Heading
Added on: Wed Oct 27 1999
Page: 1 3 4 

The Character

The technique used for the character is polygon modeling. Mickey is made with just enough polygons to have all the details I need, then at rendering time I applied "Tessellate" and "Relax" to give it a smooth look. And it allows for a light model in Max for adding bones or morphing...

I started the head with a very low sphere, then I created the details by deleting, creating, extruding, collapsing faces, edges and vertices. I put enough definition on the eyebrows and the mouth to allow me to make facial expressions.
The nose and ears are made with spheres. The hat with a torus and cone. For the eyes, I created a smaller sphere with the same pivot as the head, so I could turn it inside to make him look around, then deleted all the unused faces.

When you make a low polygon model and then apply a meshsmooth or a tessellate, one of the problems you encounter is the loss of volume as the model gets smoother and thinner.
One technique to keep volume where you want, is to double the edges of the zone you want sharper, to prevent the vertices from moving. That's the case all around the pink part of the face, around the eyes, on the wrinkles of the shoes...

I wanted to make the broomsticks very simple and light as I wanted to multiply them around Mickey. For the body I used a long capsule, and then made a loft with some scaling for the arms... Then I took the Mickey's hand and made a unique posing, collapsed it and applied a big optimize. The lower part of the broom is a low polygon model with a tessellate relax enabled at rendering.

1997-2018 3DLuVrTM (Three Dee Lover)
Best viewed in 1024x768 or higher,
using any modern CSS compliant browser.