Keep 3DLuVr online!
3DLuVr Logo
 From the Real World
 Digital Painting Series
 Featuring of...
 On the Bookshelf
 3ds max
 Softimage XSI
 Rhinoceros 3D
 Video Tutorials
FunZone menu
 I always wanted to be
 Talk to an employer
 Why Ask "Why"
TechZone menu
 Hardware Reviews
 Software Reviews
 Q&A, Tips & Tricks
UserZone menu
 The Artist Sites
 15 Min of Fame
 Request an Account
 Current Assignment
 Sponsors & Prizes
 Make a Submission
 Voting Booth
 Competition Rules
About menu
 Mission Statement
 Poll Archive
 How to IRC
Log in to be able to post comments to the news items, forum posts, and other facilities.
Not registered? Register!     Lost Password?
 Your New Year`s Resolution is...
Gain employment
Stop smoking/drinking/etc
Get back in shape
Find the meaning of life
Conquer the World
Absolutely nothing

    Poll Results
Want to leave us a comment about the site or in general? Click here to access the form.
ArtZone Heading
"Ars Antarctica"
Added on: Wed Apr 07 1999
Page: 2 

I wanted to do this scene as simple as possible, if not I wasn't sure if I'd ever finish it. Usually I think out these complicated scenes that sound great in theory, but they end up beeing much too time consuming. So, I started simple with a penguin.

I had a cylinder, and extruded faces on top to form the head of the penguin, and moved vertices so it looked right. the beak was made the same way. I worked on a fairly low poly version, as you can see on the picture (Picture.1) The wings were done in the same way.
Extrude and move vertices/faces untill it looks ok. The feet was made from a box, and again..extrudes, and a meshsmooth on top of that. Most of my models are done this way.
I like to move vertices.

It was hard to get the texture for the penguins to look right, I simulated the fur look with a bump, using regular noise, and when tiled the noise to give it a direction. Didn't look too bad in the end. I drew two diffuse maps for the body, and one for the head. Fairly simple painted textures. The penguin was mapped using a cylindrical mapping for the body, and a planar mapping from the side on the head.

So far the scene looks like this (Picture.2), not much. The rock in front is just a box with extrudes and a relax modifier.

Next I went on to work on the textures, I already had a rock-bitmap, used that for diffuse. The bump map was a 50/50 mix of the same rock bitmap and a turbulence noise map.
I then converted the standard map into a blend map, copied the same rock bitmap over to the second material slot, and made the second material to look a bit more shiny and a bit darker.
I used a gradient with noise as a mask between the two rock materials and then used the same rock material as a displacement map on the rockmodel, this way the mesh would match the texture more.

� 1997-2024 3DLuVrTM (Three Dee Lover)
Best viewed in 1024x768 or higher,
using any modern CSS compliant browser.