Keep 3DLuVr online!
3DLuVr Logo
Sections
Articles
 From the Real World
 Digital Painting Series
 Featuring of...
 On the Bookshelf
Tutorials
 3ds max
 LightWave3D
 Softimage XSI
 Rhinoceros 3D
 Video Tutorials
FunZone menu
 I always wanted to be
 Talk to an employer
 Why Ask "Why"
TechZone menu
 Hardware Reviews
 Software Reviews
 Benchmarking
 Q&A, Tips & Tricks
UserZone menu
 The Artist Sites
 15 Min of Fame
 Request an Account
 Current Assignment
 Sponsors & Prizes
 Make a Submission
 Voting Booth
 Competition Rules
About menu
 Mission Statement
 Policies
 Advertising
 Comments
 Poll Archive
 Links
 How to IRC
 Donations
Login
Log in to be able to post comments to the news items, forum posts, and other facilities.
Username: 
 
Password: 
Not registered? Register!     Lost Password?
Poll
 Your New Year`s Resolution is...
Gain employment
Stop smoking/drinking/etc
Get back in shape
Find the meaning of life
Conquer the World
Absolutely nothing

    Poll Results
Comments
Want to leave us a comment about the site or in general? Click here to access the form.
ArtZone Heading
"Antique Piece"
Added on: Thu Jan 14 1999
Page: 2 

When i started thinking about this project, an old toy seemed like it would make an
interesting and challenging scene. I looked around the internet but didn't find anything
that had enough detail to create a scene from, so I asked friends and family if they had
any antique toys. I still didn't come up with much. I did find a replica antique tin toy
in a toy store so I bought it for $4.98.
It helps me alot to have what I am modeling right in front of me with all of its details and texture. The toy I bought was new so I had to make it look old.

I started with the head and body. The head was easy,just a sphere booleaned in half and
squashed then mirrored. For the body I lathed a spline, applied EDIT MESH modifier, tweaked vertices and topped it off with meshsmooth. With the head and body finished I went on to the rest of the model. There really is no great modeling feats here, but I did apply alot of detail to the bear (Picture.1).If you look close you can see I made the little metal tabs that hold the toy together and some of the inner mechanisms that make it work.


Picture.1

Next, was the task of making the texture maps. I wanted it to look old since antiques
are rarely in new condition. I wanted the paint to be chipped with maybe a little corrosion.

I scanned in what I could of the different parts of the toy and with cut, copy, paste and
rubber stamp in photoshop ,I was able to make usable maps. To get the old look, I sandwiched the map between two layers of a corroded metal texture. I turned the opacity down on top layer of corroded metal to 28% for the old washed out look. I then selected the middle map I scanned from the toy and used the eraser tool from photoshop to erase spots revealing the third layer of corroded metal underneath. This gave it a piant chipped look (Picture.2).

I saved a copy as a TGA for the diffuse map. To make the bump map i selected \"all\" in the middle layer (the chipped paint) then nudged it. I filled the selection with white,
flattened layers and converted it to grayscale. After playing with the contrast a little I had a nice bump map that would make indentations in the paintless areas where the metal shows through.


Picture.2




 
1997-2017 3DLuVrTM (Three Dee Lover)
Best viewed in 1024x768 or higher,
using any modern CSS compliant browser.