Keep 3DLuVr online!
3DLuVr Logo
Sections
Articles
 From the Real World
 Digital Painting Series
 Featuring of...
 On the Bookshelf
Tutorials
 3ds max
 LightWave3D
 Softimage XSI
 Rhinoceros 3D
 Video Tutorials
FunZone menu
 I always wanted to be
 Talk to an employer
 Why Ask "Why"
TechZone menu
 Hardware Reviews
 Software Reviews
 Benchmarking
 Q&A, Tips & Tricks
UserZone menu
 The Artist Sites
 15 Min of Fame
 Request an Account
 Current Assignment
 Sponsors & Prizes
 Make a Submission
 Voting Booth
 Competition Rules
About menu
 Mission Statement
 Policies
 Advertising
 Comments
 Poll Archive
 Links
 How to IRC
 Donations
Login
Log in to be able to post comments to the news items, forum posts, and other facilities.
Username: 
 
Password: 
Not registered? Register!     Lost Password?
Poll
 Your New Year`s Resolution is...
Gain employment
Stop smoking/drinking/etc
Get back in shape
Find the meaning of life
Conquer the World
Absolutely nothing

    Poll Results
Comments
Want to leave us a comment about the site or in general? Click here to access the form.
ArtZone Heading
"Masks"
Added on: Sat Sep 25 1999
Page: 1 

I wanted the feathers to look realistic, but even more I wanted them to pick up the light from the sides, so I went with a raytraced material with mapped translucence. I had to mess around with the settings and the textures to get the right effect. As for the mask, the indentations on the surface were mapped on, and the edges accentuated with opacity mapping.

Then it was time to add the most important part, at least the part I was really thinking of that first moment I heard the topic. After the main lights on the side, I moved them around until there was a high contrast in the person's iris's, with another light solely for the purpose of putting a waterspot on the eyes.
I was trying to draw attention to the eyes before anything else, and let the feathers and other colors gradually draw the attention outwards.

The second mask went pretty much the same way. At first I planned to have him standing there completely with arms crossed, but I figured that might get a little off topic (although the expression is about what I imagined).
Instead, I meshsmoothed some simple geometry to give him a quick-made collar that would blend into the background.

After the masks were made and positioned, the next step was the make the background. I opened a new Max scene and made some afterburn clouds, using a prerender with alpha map of the original masks scene to position the clouds.
The sunset and the far clouds are a Max included map, but the closer ones were generated with afterburn. Once they looked good, I rendered and used that image as a background back in the original masks scene.

The final render without the afterburn stats included totaled 600k polys, about 10 megs of custom mapping textures and took 8 minutes to render.

The final image in wireframe and fully rendered is shown below.


 
1997-2017 3DLuVrTM (Three Dee Lover)
Best viewed in 1024x768 or higher,
using any modern CSS compliant browser.